Our God is an awesome and wonderful God. He is above all that we can think or imagine. He is infinite; we are finite. He is eternal; we are mortal. He is strong; we are weak. As we study the character of God we come to a point where we realize how big he truly is. God wants to be known. As we learn more about him the more trust we give to him. Though our journey can never end, it certainly can begin. So let us begin the journey of discovering the greatness of God. Memorize Exodus 34:6,7
- The Attributes of God
- What does God need? Is his existence dependent on anything or anyone?
- Will God become better? Why or why not?
(See also: James 1:17; Psalm 33:11; Isaiah 46:9-11)
- How long will God live? Did God have a beginning?
(See also: Jeremiah 10:10; Isaiah 45:21)
- Where is God?
1 Kings 8:27
- Attributes Describing God’s Being
- Is God a human being with arms and legs?
- Can you see God?
1 Timothy 1:17 (1 Timothy 6:16; John 1:18)
- Mental Attributes
- How much does he know?
Matthew 10:29-30 (See also: 1 Corinthians 2:10-11; Psalm 139:1-2,4,16; Proverbs 16:33)
- What kind of advice can he give you?
Romans 11:33 (See also: Romans 16:27; Psalm 104:24; 1 Corinthians1:30)
- What kind of standard does God’s word have?
John 17:3 (See also: 1 John 5:20; John 17:17; Titus 1:2)
- What do these verses say about God?
Deuteronomy 7:9; Deuteronomy 32:4; Lamentations 3:22,23
- Moral Attributes: Using the verses, give a one or two word attribute for the 8 blanks.
Psalm 100:5; Psalm106:1; Luke 18:19
1 John 4:8-10; Jeremiah 31:3
Exodus 34:6; Psalm 103:8
Isaiah 6:3; Psalm 99:9; 1 Peter 1:15,16
1 Corinthians 14:33; Romans 15:33
Psalm 97:2; Psalm 7:9; Isaiah 45:21
Deuteronomy 4:24; Deuteronomy 5:9; Exodus 20:5
Exodus 32:9-10; Romans 1:18
- Attributes of Purpose
- What can God do?
- What can stop God?
Luke 1:37; Ephesians 3:20
- Summary Attributes: Give a one-word statement to the 4 blanks.
1 Timothy 6:15
Psalm 27:4; Revelation 4:3
Romans 3:23; Psalm 24:10; Revelation 21:23
- Names of God
Though the Bible does give several names and titles to God, there are some names that are intimate and personal.
- List the names or titles mentioned in these Scripture passages.
- What name did Jesus use when referring to God?
- What is God’s personal name?
III. Our Responsibility
Read Ephesians 5:1,2
What are you commanded to do according to these two verses?
What would imitating God look like in your life?
How have those around you demonstrated imitating God?